Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Let's Put the "Rad" Back in Radiation Therapy!

from blogs.sfweekly.com
Alright, so the time for Radiation Therapy is now.  And you probably thought we were all done talking about the cancer.  Well, think again, blog-enthusiast!
All in all, radiation seems like a much more chill treatment than chemo.  I did a walk-through today and, so far, it looks like they will be treating me better than if I went to a tanning salon, so...plus!  In fact, I'm going in to get my special boobie-mold and laser tattoos so that they can zap me right each time.  That's right, Dad, another tattoo!  HAH!
Well, I guess one could consider them tattoos.  It will most likely look like someone accidentally poked me in the boob several times with a blue ballpoint pen.  I remain confident, however, that I can still get a "heyyy, nice tat!" or two.
They even have a pretty stained glass piece of art over each radiation table made to look like the Monterey coastline so you have something nice to look at while you're all James Bond getting lasered.  How thoughtful!
Of course, being Kate, I have not failed to look up and discuss the possible negative side effects.  BUT, I have found a way to put a positive spin on each one so check it out:
FATIGUE--My doctor tells me this will almost certainly happen so I should plan on having a rest or nap-time during the day.  Um, adult nap-time--doctor's orders?!  Awesome!  Also, I can now personally justify buying another cute pair of jammies from Target as my time spent in pj's will now likely rise to 80% of the day.  Who doesn't love jammies?  Evil people, I tells ya!  Like Nazis.  Well, maybe Nazis would wear, like, swastika pajamas...but I digress.
OTHER CANCER--That's right, like most treatments, there is a slight chance you will get cancer in the other breast somewhere down the line.  HOWEVER, my doctor let me know that my radiated boob will be firmer throughout life while my other will succumb to gravity.  But if I need more radiation, that other boob will firm right up and POW!  I have the breasts of a 25 year-old when I'm sixty.  Haaahh-hah!
BEING RADIOACTIVE--Alright, that one is just my nerves talking but I  kind of imagine myself walking around with a healthy green glow like Mr. Burns.  So I'm thinking that if I end up being biohazardous, that will give me the excuse I've always needed to wear that Devo radiation suit
Fashionable, right?  I bet I could even get it in pink.
Alright, so there's my Intro to Radiation.  I'll likely be updating you all on this strange process as it goes on so get ready to see me in that Devo suit!
Kate Out.
  

7 comments:

  1. If you get the green glow a la Mr. Burns does that mean you get to meet simpsonized Mulder and Scully??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still prefer the tatoos to body piercings, even the radiation kind. As long as there are no studs in your tongue or chin or rings in your nose or eyebrow it should be just fine. And if you pull a Janet Jackson and flash a boob, it sounds definitely like it will be a conversation starter with all of those pen marks and doodling. Perhaps you could invent "adult" pictionary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh- maybe you could link up the radiation dots afterward, and make a sort of nunga constellation? be sure to think on that while you're staring at the glass sculpture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. blue dots are acceptable tatoo material...your father

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your marriage it looks like you guys had a blast in Hawaii! Since you get to read the comments of a lot of survivors I was wondering if you thought that the finding in this study seemed inclined with the feedback you receive?
    http://www.dailyrx.com/news-article/advanced-breast-cancer-patients-not-receiving-radiation-after-mastectomies-14265.html
    Nearly 45% of the women who could benefit from radiation therapy following mastectomies aren't receiving the treatment.
    Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your marriage it looks like you guys had a blast in Hawaii! Since you get to read the comments of a lot of survivors I was wondering if you thought that the finding in this study seemed inclined with the feedback you receive?
    http://www.dailyrx.com/news-article/advanced-breast-cancer-patients-not-receiving-radiation-after-mastectomies-14265.html
    Nearly 45% of the women who could benefit from radiation therapy following mastectomies aren't receiving the treatment.
    Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete